Wednesday 2 January 2013

Rowan Knitting and Crochet Magazine 52: A Review, Part 2

Here's the second half of the patterns from Rowan's issue 52. I posted part 1 of the review yesterday.





This pullover isn't bad. It's not going to be the most flattering item, but it looks warm and cozy and has a very attractive, interesting texture.





I'm loving the scalloped textural effect and the contrasting linear texture of the cuffs and hem. I am not loving the exaggerated neck, which most women can't wear (even the model doesn't have quite enough neck for it), or the dropped shoulders, which don't flatter anyone. But if your skills are up to the task of knitting this sweater, they're up to the task of fixing both those things.





The description for this pullover mentions that it has a "cropped front". That and the way the front hem is curved down towards the side seams leaves me fearful that there's a much longer back hem involved. I suppose the designer thought there had to be something innovative about a pattern with a look that's been standard since at least the 1950s in order for it to sell, but I don't know why this particular innovation had to be the one chosen.






I think this scarf might be the only beginner-level project I've seen among the Rowan issue 52 patterns thus far — most are for the intermediate or the experienced. And the scarf is okay, but do be sure you're prepared to wear an enormous, bulky scarf before you commit to this project.





This cardigan design comes across as less than successful, but I'm not sure why. I think it's that the stripes should really have a sharp, graphic look, but just look rather muddled. The shawl collar doesn't sit well, either.





This pullover is one of those sweater patterns that you think you've seen a number of times before, in knitting pattern booklets dating back as far as the 1950s, but then you remember that there's a reason sweaters like this have been worn by so many women for so long.





I just don't understand how anyone could think the dropped shoulders work on this pullover. It drags the eye downwards and makes the arms look stumpy. If I were making this sweater, which is otherwise quite attractive with its bobbles and contrasting bands of colour that work well together, I would make it with standard fitting shoulders and also use a different colour on the neckline, cuffs and hem. That's a dreary-looking yarn to use on a combination that otherwise pops. That is, for a Rowan sweater the colour combination pops. Rowan seems to be all about muted, understated shades and after reviewing forty or so patterns in grays, blues, lavenders and taupes, I'm getting a little starved for the sight of something brighter.





This sweater is the male version of one shown earlier in this post. I liked the woman's version and I like the man's, although.... again with the dropped shoulders. I know men like to look like they have big shoulders, but this sweater would look so much neater and more polished with a standard-fitting shoulder.





It's a relief to me, after nit-picking my way through nearly forty patterns so far, to be able to say I quite like this pullover. Most men would happily wear this sweater.





A... tartan cape. I don't hate it, probably because I have a weakness for tartan, but I don't know too many women who would actually want to wear it either. It looks like the kind of apparel that belongs on a woman "of a certain age" who takes her little dog with her everywhere she goes, wears several pounds of elaborate silver and semi-precious jewelry, knows a lot about poetry and the Elizabethan drama, just got back from a marvellous trip to Monterrey, and has a tendency to declaim rather than speak.





This vest is easily my favourite out of the patterns in this issue, probably because of the colour scheme. I'm always a sucker for fair isle, and I love seeing it done in non-traditional colours. I'm not sure I'd pair it with tartan velvet hotpants, though.





This is one of those patterns that had me squinting at the picturing and saying, out loud, "What the hell?!" These felted slippers are described as fair isle in the pattern description, but you'd never know it. I'm not sure I see the value of going to all the effort of knitting these in a fair isle pattern if you're going to felt them (or maybe just plan to use a fuzzy yarn? they may not be all felted), because the pattern just winds up blurred. And I don't really see any appeal in these slippers, except that they're probably warm and hard-wearing.





These socks are quite nice, or maybe they just seem so in comparison to the slippers just upthread. They're subtly patterned, which is nice if, like me, you don't care for loud socks.





This throw is nice, if a little busy. Just remember it won't be a reversible throw and will have to be kept right side up.





I like this men's vest. It's something quite different, but in such a subtle way that doesn't look at all odd.





I like this fair isle cardigan overall, but man, the way the front openings are sitting are really detracting. I hope this isn't one of those cardigan sweaters that have left the top and bottom segments without fastenings.





Oooh, pretty! I like this embroidered fair isle cardigan nearly as much as the fair isle vest. I'll even give it a pass for the angled, buttonless bottom front, because this sweater is so waistcoat-y it works on this item.





A beautiful pullover. Why did Rowan save all the best patterns for one streak near the end?





I want to like this pullover, which is interesting and distinctive and well-constructed (all the Rowan patterns in this issue are, except that one beginner project), but something about it isn't quite working. Maybe it's just the colour combination.





Not crazy about this man's tartan pullover. Both the colourway and the pattern are going to be too bold to suit most men. Dial one of them back and it would probably work.





Nice classic bobbled cardigan. I can't help but get unduly excited that the buttons go all the way to the bottom hem. I've definitely seen my fill of that trend of leaving the bottom four inches buttonless.





Oooh, I like this men's pullover. It's classic Celtic knot, but strikingly graphic at the same time.





I like this wrap, but only theoretically. The theory being that it would only be worn while sitting on a couch and when feeling chilly.





This one is really something quite different: intarsia Celtic medallions scattered over a subtle stripe. I don't know why the designer chose this colourway, though. It's so dreary, and this is a design that would really stand out if done in colours with a little more vigor. I'm not talking shocking pink and orange here, people, but even... navy, gray and white. Or anything but mustard and whatever those other colours are.

No comments:

Post a Comment