Thursday 17 October 2013

Vogue Knitting Holiday 2013: A Review

Vogue Knitting has released the preview for their Holiday 2013 issue. Let's have a look at it.





I believe this top was made using the same yarn throughout, and the solid and sheer effects were created by knitting the bodice with two strands of yarn and the sleeves and shoulders with only one. I do quite like this concept but am not sure I care for this particular execution of it. I like the sheer part, but the bodice has a too-heavy, clumsily shaped look.





The heavy and lacy vertical bands on this one are not attractive on their own nor are they flattering on a wearer.





Very elaborate construction on this one, and it works. It's flattering and eye-catching and would be an interesting and challenging project to make.





I'm a little torn on this one. I like the lace but the bands of plain stockinette seem too heavy in contrast. I'd be inclined to take that chest band out of it and just have the lace sweater trimmed in stockinette at the wasitband, cuffs and neck. Yes, you'll be able to see the brassiere below but you would be able to see straps and a lot of midriff skin as it is, so an underlying camisole would be advisable anyway. And it looks like this model has one on.





This one is... just not attractive. At all. I think it might look better if it were done in a solid neutral colour like black or gray. The colour combo plus the gimmicky design is too over the top. Right now it's looking like part of an old afghan was stitched to a stockinette tube hat, and not in a good way.





I displayed all these shawls together because I've got just one comment to make about them: that they're exquisite.





Love the dress (so smart and flattering!), like the socks... but I can't imagine any woman wearing them both at the same time in real life without looking ridiculous. If you want to make them both, considering wearing the socks on the slopes and the dress as après-ski wear, or some such.





Really like this little jacket. It's just so chic. I do wish I could see the bottom — I have my suspicions it's a cropped length, which isn't a flattering length for many women, but if it is that's easily remedied.





I really like this smart, graphic, wearable little pullover too.





Can't say this skirt appeals to me much, but it might be a victim of the styling here. The top garments don't go with the skirt at all, but then what would one wear with this skirt? I can only imagine a plain turtleneck in one of the blues would work. And I wish we could see the top of the skirt. The centre panel leads our eyes upward but the overblouse stops us short. This is a concept that might work better in a dress.





This one looks more than a little rough and unfinished to me, but I think it might be the colour combination that isn't working here. This design calls for a colourway that's a little higher contrast. I'm imagining the navy replaced with, say, a white, and it works better.





I like this one. It should work in a number of colourways and look right at the office or at the mall or around home or just about anywhere a woman is likely to go during the course of a winter's day.





This sweater is also rather unfortunately styled. I don't see the point of putting a busy blouse under a busy jacket. I like the jacket on the whole, but I do have my concerns about the way the front is rolling underneath itself and the way the jacket doesn't meet in the front. I'd make it meet in the front and probably also add a fastening, such as zipper.





This one looks luxuriously cozy, but I would tweak it a little. I'd fix the dropped shoulders and neaten up the fit a little because it's big, and maybe put a few rows of garter stitch or a crocheted edging on the bottom and the cuffs because they look a little unfinished as is.





This sweater reminds me of the neuro knitting post I wrote three months ago. It'm not terribly impressed with the look in this case, but I suppose it will do. Although the designer went to all the trouble of knitting the front panels from side to side and all I can think is that it would look better if those front bands were vertical.





This is another big, cozy, beautiful sweater. It's not going to be easy to scale this one down as it's elaborately designed so if you make this one make sure you're going to be happy with a big, heavy-looking sweater.





Really interesting afghan stitch. Though I'd want to knit it something other than this oatmeal shade.





I rather like this one. It's amazing how good the silhouette is from the back. Though it should not have been styled over a bow-tie blouse.





Here's another big, beautiful sweater with a removable cowl. This one has batwing sleeves, so make sure you or the intended wearer of this sweater likes her sweaters big and roomy.






Not sure about the proportions of the sleeves on this sweater — I'm not a fan of three-quarter sleeves at the best of times, but these especially look really off to me. I think maybe the sweater is too boxy for them. If you like this sweater (and I do think it's cute except for the sleeve issue), I'd make the sleeves wrist length.





Another big, cozy, beautiful sweater, but this time it isn't big enough to fit over a house but is just a little oversized. This is a Good Thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment