Tuesday 15 April 2014

Twist Collective Spring 2014: A Review


Twist Collective has released its Spring 2014 issue, and it's probably the best spring issue I've seen yet this season — and I've seen quite a few. So, while snow falls in Toronto and I worry about the well-being of my tulips which had just begun to come up, let's have a look at it.





The Restalrig design is one of those good minimalist designs that have a good shape and just enough detail to keep things interesting. The result is a very useful sweater that will go with lots of other items in a woman's closet.





The Aello design is just stunning. This is a shawl fit for a princess bride, and for bringing out on special occasions for decades to come, such as wrapping around the baby at the christening.





The Aphelion is a cute and wearable little summer top with a retro vibe.





The Nopales cardigan. I'm usually less than enthusiastic about gathered front closures on a cardigan, but I think this one is working because it sits well and has good lines.





The Ivyle top. Very pretty and wearable.





The Carnica shawl. I wish we could see this shawl better, but what is shown here looks good and seems to have an interesting texture.





The Tybee top. Quite like this one. If the drawstring detail isn't for you, you can always omit it and perhaps add a little waist shaping. This top has plenty going for it without it. Love the picot edging and the back view.





The Daralis cowl is beautiful. I love the intricate cable work.





The Belleville cardigan. I'll be adding this one to my Ravelry favourites. It's perfect.





The Chainlink design is another very wearable and attractive summer cardigan.





The Belarra shawl is just as gorgeous as the Aello shawl above.





The Crush socks are cute, and I love the combination of hearts and stripes, which keeps the hearts from being too twee. My one nitpick is that perhaps those hearts could be better shaped.





The Brightwood design apparently can be knitted as either pullover and cardigan. It's a classic, wearable item in both views.





The Walkabout socks are cute.





The Finery cardigan is a lovely piece. The shape is good and the openwork edging around the neck and front pieces is distinctive.





The Facet design. Oooh, those twists and openings are a truly original touch. I like this one, which lets a woman show some skin without being all "EVERYTHING'S IN THE WINDOW COME AND LOOK" about it. I'm also adding this one to my Ravelry favourites, but I will have to figure out how to get a bra underneath it before I let myself make it. Strapless is probably the way to go.





The Megunticook design is another very useful, wearable piece that will flatter most women.





The Glaize pattern. This is a nice little summer top. Do make sure when you make it that it is properly sized to fit the wearer. This one is a little small on the model and is gaping between the buttons and pulling apart too much at the top.





The Interleaf design is really striking and graphic. This is a striped design that really pops.





The Leola sock pattern. Quite like these, but then it would be hard to go wrong with a classic sock pattern like this.





The Aristea shawl is a lovely piece, and offers both a rectangular and a triangular option. Both are beautiful.





The Portia top. I'm not sure how flattering this drawstring waist style will be on most women, especially considering it's not doing a lot for this model. You could make the top in a standard fit, but then it might be easier to just make another pattern.





The Lanai top. Very wearable summer top. The lace v-neck detail is really well done, quite unique and attractive.





The Verbena top. Asymmetrical modern designs like this one don't usually appeal to me, but I like this one. It's well shaped and it drapes well. Alas, the Verbena top is verboten for me, because it's for small-breasted women, but I can see several women I know rocking it.





The Sugarbeach top is a nice classic summer top that almost any woman could wear.





The Calendula top. I love this top on the whole, but I don't love that centre front seam, which keeps catching my eye, and not in a good way, but more in the way a run in a stocking does. If I were to make this top, I'd rejig the design to make that front piece seamless.





And we end this excellent issue of Twist Collective on a good note. Love the Demeter skirt, which is cute and polished.

No comments:

Post a Comment