Wednesday 12 November 2014

Noro Magazine Issue 5: A Review


Noro Magazine has published its fifth issue. Let's have a look at it, shall we?





A-Line Raglan Tunic. Nice stitchwork on the front of this one. I like it on the whole, though those three-quarter sleeves and the high neck aren't going to be for everyone. But then they are easily corrected.





Batwing Pullover & Cowl. I love the colours used here, but this design is going to swamp most women. I'd borrow the colourwork and use it to make some other pattern.





Bobble-and-Vine Mittens. Nice classic mittens.





Cabled Beret. This one has a rough, unfinished look, and the colours used here aren't doing it any favours.





Chevron Scarf. Beautiful texture in this scarf.





Color-shift Cowl. Pleasing texture and beautiful soft colours. I just want to reach out and touch this piece.





Colorblock Bag. Cute bag with a log cabin quilt-like effect. I'd find or make straps that went with it better, though.





Colorblock Fisherman's Sweater. Nice classic sweater, though I am not taken with the colours used here.





Convertible Button Cowl. Beautiful colours in this cowl. I don't know about the button styling though. I'd be inclined to just join the ends and make it a regular cowl.





Crew-neck Pullover. There's room in this pullover for a second model. I'd reshape this to fit.





Double-Crochet Cowl. Lovely. The colours are so beautiful.





Faux Cables Long Cardigan. A beautiful piece. Love both the colours and the style used here.





Garter Triangle Shawl. This isn't grabbing me. It looks rather roughly constructed and the colours aren't pleasing.





Garter Wave Scarf. This is something different, but I like it. It's possible to play with scarves and make a conceptual piece like this to an extent that isn't possible with clothing.





Gauntlets. Not sure I like the nubbly effect here, but these are well-shaped.





Heart Blanket. Adorable. The gradient colour effect really upgrades what would otherwise be too simplistic a concept.





Lace-and-Rib Socks. The design is nice enough, but I'm finding the colours used here a little loud, almost retina-searing.





Lacy Cuffs. I could perhaps get behind a design that involved attaching knitted cuffs and collar onto a sewn garment, but these add-ons are just silly.





One Cowl Three Ways. Not a bad looking cowl design. It sits well.





Oversized Cowl. Nice piece. Those colours would really work well with a black or gray winter coat.





Oversized Tunic. I love the cowl neckline and the colourway used here, but this would look so much better if it were standard fit with standard sleeves. Notice how the whole sweater is riding up because the model has her arm raised? That's not a good sign.





Oversized Vest. I have to wonder how this piece looks when the wearer isn't lunging in it. My guess is, not particularly good.





Pompom Beanie. Nice little cap.





Rectangular Poncho. This is innovative. It might work quite well on a woman who has a very modern dress style.





Relaxed Cardigan. I'd want to raise the dropped shoulders and make the sleeves full length, but then those are the only design features this otherwise very basic cardigan has.





Reversible Cowl. Beautiful. I love the subtle colours against the gray.





Ripple Scarf. Nice scarf. Texture and colour are both pleasing.





Side-To-Side Wrap. This one hits the trifecta. It's inventive, beautiful, and wearable.





Smocked Fingerless Mitts. Very cute. I like the little bow-tie effect of the smocking.





Striped-and-Textured Cowl. Pretty.





Traveling Stitches Socks. Nice socks. Love the colours used here.





Turtleneck. Quite like this one. The gray shoulders and neck really balance out all those colours and give this piece an adult, sophisticated look.





Twisted-stitch Earflap Beanie. Cute hat. Beautiful texture and colours.





Whirl Beanie. Not liking this one much. If I had it in my hands, I'd turn it inside out out in the hopes that I'm actually looking at the wrong side and the inside might be better.





Woven Cape. Very pretty piece. And it's very well styled. I can see it suddenly occurring to a number of the women who make this piece that they really must have a smart felt hat to go with it.





Wrap Front Pullover. This design looks like the result of a battle of wills between the knitter and the Noro. The knitter was determined to make a sweater; the Noro was determined to be a scarf. The unhappy compromise they reached is making the model look as though she wishes the helium balloons she's holding would carry her far, far, away, or at least to some other photo shoot.





Zigzag Lace Cowl. And we end well, with a simple yet pretty lace cowl.

1 comment:

  1. Re: Side to Side Wrap, I agree that it's beautiful, but I don't know about inventive. It reminds me of Carol Sunday's Interlochen, which is also gorgeous: http://www.sundayknits.com/interlochen.html.

    ReplyDelete