Friday 13 November 2015

Spilly Jane Knits Mittens: A Review


Today we're going to have a look at Spilly Jane Knits Mittens, written by Spilly Jane, and published by Cooperative Press. This book would make a good primer for someone who has never knitted mittens before, as it includes lots of helpful technical information and very detailed instructions, including excellent tutorials on the gusset and peasant thumb techniques, and offers lots of tips and inspiration for anyone who'd like to have some fun making arty mittens. Mittens can be treated like tiny canvasses, and one can be very whimsical when designing them without the project becoming too much of a time hog, and still have a wearable result.





Plain Blue Mitts. This is a very simple design technically speaking, and these mittens could be made with odds and ends of yarn, but the stripes make them eye-catching. "Phasing in" stripes with alternating stitches of the new colour is such a nice effect and gives stripes more sophistication.





Plain Brown Mitts. Another basic pattern, this time with a gusset thumb and classic stripes.





Nougat mittens. These are rather pretty, and well named, because the colourway does remind me of a box of chocolates.





Midtown Mittens. Love the graphic pattern on these, which was inspired by New York's subway grills. I'm not a fan of pointy-tipped mittens, which always look silly to me, but if you feel the same you can easily borrow the more oval shaping from one of the other patterns in this book.





Under the Hostas Mittens. These are totally cute and just the right pair of mittens for those days when you're in an Amélie kind of mood.





Codfish Mittens. Also cute, and with greater longevity than real fish.





Cupcake Mittens. I would ordinarily find something like this too twee for words, but these are irresistibly adorable. The pastel colourway is perfect for the theme.





Decadence Mittens. These are Art Nouveau-inspired, and an easy sell in my case because I love Art Nouveau. I'm not sure about the striped thumb, though. It seems like one detail too much.





Petoskey Mittens. These mittens were inspired by Petoskey stones, which "are the fossilized remains of ancient coral beds that have been tumbled by the waves of Lake Michigan for millions of years". I never would have guessed, as these look more like a fifties textile print to me. However they are quite pleasingly patterned either way.





The Girl With the Prefabricated Heart Mittens. This image is Spilly Jane's conception of how "the image of the classical goddess as she might appear had she been imagined in the 20th century era of impersonal mass production". It's not every day that one sees such a high-level art concept on mittens.





Penguin Mittens. I'm having to strain to see anything penguin-like in these. They look more like vengeful birds from some horror movie or other to me. It's a good concept either way, though.





Abney Park. These were inspired by the gratings and gates of an abandoned Neo-Gothic chapel in Abney Park in London. It's a very cool effect.





Wheatfield Mittens. These mittens depict stalks of wheat as the name suggests, and I really have to admire how well rendered the design is. Spilly Jane definitely has a real talent for creating effective visual patterns.

12 comments:

  1. No comments yet? I'll go first then--I'm MagdalenB on Ravelry. (Love the blog, which is completely perfect and well-shaped at the waist, which is why I don't comment normally.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a lovely variety of mitten patterns! I would like to add this book to my knitting library!
    Ravelry: Iamsomewhere

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gorgeous Mittens!!

    Rav ID: janeo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow!! another awesome collection from Spilly Jane . Can't wait to get my copy

    ReplyDelete
  5. beautiful mittens! I am about to learn Fair Isle (hint)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Under The Hostas is just adorable! gerib242 on Rav

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sounds like it has lots of good tips and designs

    ReplyDelete
  8. I can always make mittens. I don't get to wear them much but the family back home in Wisconsin can :)

    ~ renny1780 on Rav

    ReplyDelete
  9. I like the look of this, and they would make a change from the socks I am besotted with at the moment....

    ReplyDelete
  10. Just gorgeous! Abney Park is what sold me! -plex

    ReplyDelete
  11. These are beautiful and charming mittens. But I wonder about the fit. Most of them have a very narrow ribbing. You could make it wider, but then there is a lot of fabric from the ribbing to the base of the thumb. I feel like to get the mitten to fit, you'd then have to remove a repeat or two of the pattern below the thumb, and in some cases (codfish, Hostas, Abney, GWTPH), that would destroy the design.

    ReplyDelete