Wednesday 30 December 2015

Knitscene Spring 2016: A Review


The Knitscene Spring 2016 issue is out. Let's have a look at it.





Siula Grande Sweater. Simple useful piece with some good shaping.





Salcantay Cowl. The perfect accessory for the last day of those Outward Bound excursions when the only clean clothes you have left are pieces that don't match at all. Mind you, I'm making fun of the styling, rather than the cowl, which I quite like. It has a certain understated style and would elevate many an outfit, though it's wasted on this one.





Mismi Shawl. Another nice little piece. The two-tone yarn gives it a more casual look than a single yarn colour would, though it is still not Outward Bound-level casual.





Chachani Hat. This little cap does belong on an Outward Bound expedition, as well as a lot of other places.





Robie Tank. I like this one on the whole, but I wouldn't go with this variegated yarn because it gives the design the look of a disco ball.





Glass Palace Tee. This is a cute top with some sporty-looking detailing. Though I don't know if I would recommend it as an accompaniment to a long, full, laser-cut skirt, wedge-heeled sandals, and a workbench.





Savoye Pullover. Love the large scale check pattern and the neck. Don't love the dropped shoulders, and the cropped, baggy fit of both the body and the sleeves, but if you don't like them either, it's always possible to reshape the design.





Monadnock Tank. A classic, pretty piece.





Modern Tartan Slouch. This one's quite smart. And fortunately there's no need to pair it with a floral romper.





Tribune Pullover. The slits in this one wouldn't ordinarily be my thing, but I think they work for this design by giving it a bit of a modern edge. The texture and shaping are also good.





Marina City Shawl. This is one of those understated pieces that only reveal their beauty and elegance upon closer inspection. Love the star stitch used here. This is also one versatile and practical item.





Geodesic Mitts. These are super cute in a very smart, adult way.





Natalia Sweater. Lovely design, although I think there are a myriad of better colourways for it than this one, which looks a little wan.





Dinah Pullover. Really liking this one's minimalist yet polished style.





Wanda Vest. A classic. Though I'd pick a less dreary colour for it to rid it of that "post-war army surplus yarn" look.





Helena Gloves. These are rather fetching in a vintage-y way.





Greer Cardigan. I like this design on the whole, though I do have some nitpicks. Those sleeves are rather too full in the cap, creating an almost puffed sleeve effect, and the contrast colour edgings look a little afghan-y, though might look less so in a more subtle colourway. Making the sleeves more fitted and the colourway more sophisticated would take this design to the next level.





Yelena Cardigan. Classic cardigan with beautiful stitchwork.





Sharon Tote. This is one of those good concepts that didn't get where they deserved to go. I love the idea of a tartan bag, and the bow is a cute touch, but the straps used here are so at variance with the rest of the bag that they detract from the overall look. I'd buy (or make) straps for the bag before I made my yarn selection, and then choose yarns that would work well with the straps. I'd also line the bag with fabric, and probably also a sturdy interlining, to give it stability and shape.






Peggy Sweater. I like the concept of a back-revealing sweater for summer, but can't say I care for this particular execution of it, which presents more as a "saggy wardrobe malfunction" than a deliberate "I'm bringing sexy back".

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for your amusing reviews of knitting magazines this last year, which I've enjoyed very much since I discovered you!

    ReplyDelete