Friday 14 October 2016

Knitter's Magazine 124: A Review


Knitter's Magazine has released issue 124, or their fall issue. Let's have a look at, shall we?





Nomad Jacket. This isn't bad from what I can see -- and it's undeniably a graphically striking piece -- but I do wish I could see the front in order to be able to assess it properly.





Bamboo Bars. This has a rough and ready look and the colourway is something of an eyesore.





Bonfire. Lovely stitchwork and a really eye-catching gradient colour scheme.





Autumn Sunset. The shape has an unfortunate boxiness, and I'm not sure that yarn works on a garment-sized scale.





Outlines. A boxy sweater that looks like the love child of a Muppet and a bathmat.





Saffron & Steel. This one is both graceful and distinctive.





Fault Lines. This is so 1986 in its oversized shape and graphic motif that I'm pretty sure I saw it on the cover of some Sweet Dreams romance novel, done in pastels and neon.





Soda & Ash. I do like the stripes, but while the descriptor for this piece claims that the "silhouette is generous, versatile, and perfect for chasing the chill", to me it looks perfect for horseback riding, because it would cover both the rider and a good part of the horse.





Magical Notes. I like this one. The lacework and the shaping are good, and the muted seashell colours are pretty.





Black Hills. This one has that "made of afghan" look.





Sand Mesa. This one has that "made of afghan" look and that "makes me feel like a couch" look. Such unflattering lines.





Tailored Tiles. Some nice mosaic work and the shaping is good, though as will be made clear by the next photo, the styling here does this piece no favours.





City Skirt. Here we have the matching skirt to the previous cardigan, which looks much better over short-sleeved and low-necked top. The lines of the skirt look good, and this really is a rather sharp-looking knit suit.





Alpha/Beta. I get where the designer was going with this, and it does have some nice features, such as the shaping through the body and the stitchwork, but that waistband makes the design looked tacked together and the slit sleeve looks terrible when the model raises her arm.





Alpha/Beta. This is the same design as the one above, done in a different yarn. It's a slight improvement, but the waistband still looks wrong and the sleeves still don't sit right.





Turquoise Trails. I'm really liking the bands of mosaic, which gives this piece quite an original look. I would raise the dropped shoulders and neaten up the fit a little, and I'd love to see this in some other colourways -- which is not to say this one doesn't work.





Southwest Duo. The skirt is well-shaped and a lot of fun, but that vest hangs like it's not even clothing.





Brushstrokes. That curved hem is different and beautifully done, and I like the shaping on the whole, but I think I might go with a cowl neck on this sweater as it'll echo the shape of the hem and the collar in the existing design is not going to cooperate by remaining in standing position as it must if it's to maintain the lines it ought to have. Also, that is one gorgeous yarn -- it's like a wearable Monet painting.

1 comment:

  1. The length of Brush strokes is unfortunate. All I see is room for a large pregnant belly.

    ReplyDelete