Friday 17 February 2017

Interweave Knits Spring 2017: A Review


Interweave Knits has released their Spring 2017 issue. Let's have a look at it, shall we?





Blixen Tunic. I'm really liking the concept of translating the classic safari jacket into knitwear, and on the whole I like the execution as well. The shape is good and the pockets and cuff details are well worked out, but I'd put a collar on the neckline. Of course, the name of this design is a clear reference to Baroness Karen von Blixen-Finecke, author of Out of Africa.





Bristol Raglan. This is a fun take on the classic Breton striped jersey.





Charlestown Pullover. Classic cabled sweater.





Cowesett Tee. I like this one. The pattern, which was inspired by American Indian textiles, has a unique look, and the shaping is good.





Denys Vest. Love the pattern on this vest, and the colourway is fantastic. That very cropped length would be awkward and unflattering on most women, but it could easily be lengthened. The name attached to this particular item makes me laugh. During her years in Kenya, Blixen had a long-term friendship and love affair with Denys Finch Hatton, a big game hunter, English army officer, and aristocrat, although sadly it was one of those cases in which she was much more attached to him than he ever was to her. If you've seen the movie you may remember the scene in which she began to mend his shirt and he told her not to. I'm imagining that she then told her laundress to shrink his vest in retaliation.





Elephant Vest. Cute, wearable vest. The little elephant motifs are so well rendered.





Hatton Sweater. Not a bad little number, though it's not showing to advantage here as it doesn't fit this lovely model well, nor suit her figure. Turtlenecks are not flattering on well-endowed women with short necks.





Kingstown Socks. These socks were "inspired by the motifs and colors of the Pacific Northwest". The design's fine, but I would have gone with a more blended colour scheme.





Narragansett Gansey. A classic piece.





Newport Pullover. I like this one, with its relaxed but not huge fit and its suggestion of cables, which adds the appeal of cables without the attendant bulk of cables. The yarn really appeals to me too -- I love that rich dark blue with the glints of turquoise. The yarn used here is Arranmore, made by The Fibre Co., and it's a mix of merino, cashmere, and silk, which sounds decadent.





Pfeiffer Shawl. The design is good, with attractive shaping and good stitchwork, but I've never been able to learn to like mustard and brown together.





Point Judith Pullover. I'm quite liking this one. The braided cable effect is really pleasing, and it was a good call to make this a henley.





Portsmouth Beanie. Rather a nice simple little cap.





Westerly Pullover. I'm liking this more polished take on the Cowichan sweater, but I would fix those dropped shoulders.





Wickford Wrap. A good-looking scarf.

1 comment:

  1. I found the headline "LEARN THE SECRET For Perfect Ribbing" to be deceptive. There is no such article. When I wrote to ask about it, the answer was that the article on tubular cast-ons was really about perfect ribbing. Hmmm. Plus there were four blank pages in my edition. This issue was disappointing.

    ReplyDelete