Monday 20 February 2017

Rowan Knitting & Crochet Magazine 61: A Review


Rowan Knitting & Crochet Magazine 61 is out. Let's have a look at it, shall we?





Porthtowan. I like the idea of the large scale zig zag, but not the colourway.





Soma. The lacework is gorgeous, but I'm not sold on the way this sits.





Nirvana. The texture's great and I love the sideways cable effect, but I would fix those dropped shoulders.





Moonbeam. I'm not usually a fan of the poncho, but this one is so light and delicate and drapes so well that it's working.





Kali. There's something about that middle panel that isn't working -- it looks too random and proportionally off, somehow. I'd do the whole sweater in the lace stitch.





Indira. An attractive, casual piece. I'm liking the gradient stripe effect.





Essence. Quite like this one. It's one of those elegantly relaxed pieces, with great shaping and a touch of textured detail.





Destiny. The stitchwork is good, but the baggy shape and dropped shoulders would make this look frumpy on most women. Even this professional model isn't quite carrying it off.





Celestial. A pretty, useful, go-most-places sweater for cooler days in summer.





Bala. Oooh, the curving lace detailing on this one is not only visually pleasing but very flattering, as it creates an hourglass effect. The only possible flaw in this one might be that the neckline should be cut a little lower, as it seems to be cutting the model off at the neck somewhat.





Anala. This is as basic as it gets, but then one can always elevate a basic pattern with a beautiful or interesting yarn in a colour the intended wearer loves.





Anaadi. There's some pretty lacework in this, but I would definitely neaten up the shape, fix the dropped shoulders and either cut down the neckline or make it a proper cowl or turtleneck.





Ahimsa. Basic tank.





Whelk. A simple yet very effective use of chevrons.





Urchin. This wrap looks so bulky and awkward that it presents more like a sweater that the model had only got half on before the overeager photographer jumped the gun and took the picture.





Seaton. Classic cabled cardigan.





Seaham. If I were making this, I'd scale the fit of this down from oversized to a relaxed fit, but it's not a very interesting pattern, so I would probably keep looking for another basic pullover that already fit well rather than bother to adjust this one.





Rockling. This is better than the longer-length cardigans we've seen thus far in this issue: it has decent shaping and fit. But I'm still not thrilled with it -- I think the front edges are a little too bare and needed some sort of finishing detail.





Periwinkle. A very pretty detailed little cardi. Not every woman can wear the cropped length, but the design can easily be lengthened for a wearer who would be better served by a longer length.





Padina. This is fairly plain, but it's adequate.





Oyster Scarf. Not a bad little scarf, but I can't say I care for the rolled up effect. I'd always be trying to unroll it, and of course it would promptly roll back up again, and I don't need a Sisyphean task hanging around my neck.





Mussell. A handsome lattice cabled pullover.





Lantic. I'm really liking the sporty, contemporary look of this one, and it'd be fun to pick out a colourway for it.





Hithe. I'd neaten up the fit of this, and it would be worth the effort because that lacework is gorgeous.





Croyde. Very basic and slightly awkwardly proportioned to boot. I'd pass on this one.





Clovelly. Some great cablework here, but I'd neaten up the fit and raise those dropped shoulders with a vengeance. The shoulder seam must be at the model's elbow!





Chalkwell. The stripes are fun and this project would be a great way to use up some odds and ends of stash yarn.





Bommie. Good shaping and that is one very striking Fair Isle pattern.





Bayberry. This one has a slightly different construction than the usual hoodie. The hood is less defined than hoods usually are, which gives it a shawl-like effect. I think it works, though I'd like to see how the hood looks when it's lying across the shoulders and back of this sweater. The cabling is excellent.





Barricane. I'd fix the dropped shoulders, but this is otherwise a solid classic piece.

1 comment:

  1. Good to see my favourite Shetland lace stitch (print o' the wave) used in Hithe. But I agree with you that such a sloppy fit doesn't look good and doesn't show off the lace stitch well.

    ReplyDelete