Friday 10 February 2017

Twist Collective Winter 2017: A Review


Twist Collective has released their Winter 2017 issue, and it's a very solid effort from them, with barely a thing in it I wouldn't make and/or wear myself. Also, there were three articles in it that I recommend: one excellent article on sleeve shapes; another on various hem finishes; and, for sheer what-the-hell value, one article on Canadian dance company Corpus' production Les Mouton ("The Sheep"), a live art installation in which three dancers dressed as sheep, are "herded, penned, fed, milked, and sheared. They bleat, eat, and copulate (not too graphically), escape into the audience, let children and adults feed and pet them, or just stand and stare into space as sheep are wont to do." It sounds hilariously bizarre, and I want to see Les Mouton myself.

But let's have a look at the designs in this issue, shall we?





Cranston. A handsome cabled cardigan.





Fenugreek. VERY nice hat and gloves set.





Epidote. Another nice take on a classic cabled cardigan.





Hashtag. #nicework





Arise. That is some very impressive lacework.





Merriment. An attractive Fair Isle hat and mitts set.





Cloudburst. I'm usually a hard sell on drape front sweaters, but I like this one. It's well shaped, it drapes beautifully, and that lace mohair looks simply decadent.





Hearthstone. Some excellent cabling in this one, highlighted by an argyle-like tracing of contrast colour on one side and around the hem. It's a subtle but very effective extra touch.





Abri. Love this little floral motif. It's playful and pretty in an adult way.





Illicium. Love the stitchwork in afghan, but it deserved a better colour palette.





Arcturus. Another impressive shawl. I'm especially taken by the almost quilted effect of the stitchwork.





Aniseed. Another lovely shawl.





Confectionary. Very wearable and nice-looking design on the whole, but I'm not liking those very openwork raglan seams. They look too messy and like a mistake.





Wafla. I like the waffle and tuck-like texture, but the front does not sit well.





Macoun. Another handsome cabled classic.





Palazzetto. I'm quite liking this contemporary capelet.





Frostpane. Very nicely finished, and I like the combination of cable and lace.





Caulkins. A comfy classic.





Bay Laurel. Oooh, so pretty. I like the leaf effect, and that is one nicely finished neckline.





Tourelle. Another good-looking cabled design.

No comments:

Post a Comment