Wednesday 11 April 2018

Knit Simple Spring & Summer 2018: A Review


Knit Simple has released their Spring and Summer 2018 issue. Let's have a look at it, shall we?





Pattern #1. The classic tennis sweater. This one's been in style for a century or so and seems likely to remain so for another century.





Pattern #2. Cute sailboat-themed bag. I'd line this one and put some sort of sturdier handles on it.





Pattern #3. The Breton stripe is another "can't miss" summer classic.





Pattern #4. This design isn't for the faint of heart, perhaps, but this isn't a bad bikini. The shaping is good, the stripes are sporty, and being that it's crocheted it should actually hold its shape reasonably well when wet.





Pattern #5. This dress is cute and beachy on the whole, but those straps and armhole trims do look a little skimpy in comparison to the stripe pattern. I'd widen them a touch.





Pattern #6. Cute and nautical. For the little wannabe naval officer or castaway in your life.





Pattern #7. This is another classic -- the little girl's sailor dress -- but it could stand a few improvements. I'd make that sad little tie into a proper bow, and improve upon that choppy-looking line of red on the collar by using some other method of knitting it in place, such as garter stitch edging or applied I-cord.





Pattern #8. I think this hat might make me feel as though I was dressed as a certain someone who knows how to have a lot of good fun that is funny. It's not a bad hat at all, but I think I'd do it in another colourway or play with the stripe pattern a little to make it look a little less Dr. Seuss-ish.





Pattern #9. This cloud pattern baby blanket is totally cute, and a remarkably effective look for such a simple design.





Pattern #10. The cloud theme isn't working nearly so well in this pullover. The clouds look like random bleach stains.





Pattern #11. We have here a crib mobile with clouds, moons, stars... and... mice with angel wings. Cute mobile, though I am finding the inclusion of angel mice a little random.





Pattern #12. For your baby on its more grizzly days.





Pattern #13. More weirdly random clouds.





Pattern #14. Some cloud pillows. I rather like the white garter stitch cloud, and might make a sun or rainbow pillow to go with it. The smug gray cloud looks like it just rained on someone's parade.





Pattern #15. Not a bad afghan. I rather like the pinwheel-like motif.





Pattern #16. A plain but wearable pair of socks.





Pattern #17. These are pretty basic but fine. I feel like I can't assess them properly because they're not on a pair of feet and I don't know how they fit.





Pattern #18. A nice lacy pattern on these.





Pattern #19. I think I would stop short of putting all those dangly little crocheted circles on the edge of this crocheted wrap, as they would drive me stark raving mad. The wrap is plenty detailed and interesting enough without it.





Pattern #20. Not a bad crocheted wrap. The colourway is good. But I can't help thinking it would be a nicer-looking piece if it were, er, knitted.





Pattern #21. I think every little girl I've ever known would be beside herself with delight to get such a beautiful, ethereal pair of fairy wings.

4 comments:

  1. The rain cloud baby romper is just too cute!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The #17 socks look like they've been knit very loosely, which is an odd choice for socks. Perhaps that's why they're not modeled on feet.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really like the cloud pillows, especially the grey one. You could do happy faces on the other ones.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Tennis Sweater?? Don't you mean cricket?!

    ReplyDelete