Monday 7 May 2018

Interweave Knits Summer 2018: A Review


Interweave Knits has released their Summer 2018 issue. Let's have a look at all the summery patterns within.





Arizona Tee. I like the contemporary style lacework in this one, which would make a good cover up for the beach, or an interesting piece to layer over a sundress.





Arkansas River Pullover. An attractive, classic cowl-neck pullover.





Bent's Fort Cardigan. The stitchwork on this is great, and the back is fabulous, but I can't say I care for the ragged-looking way it hangs in the front.





Buena Vista Stole. An attractive piece of lacework.





Candencia Poncho. The cabled stitchwork in this is nice, but I'm not crazy about the way it hangs. The model has adopted a different elaborately casual pose in every single one of the product shots on this design's Ravelry page, and the effect still isn't great.





Desert Nights Cardigan. Good shaping, and an interesting and attractive mosaic pattern.





Flagstaff Tee. A decent-looking vest.





Four Corners Cardigan. Ooh, I quite like this one. The combination of the warm, muted, desert-like colourway and the Southwestern design is appealing.





Indigo Trader Cardigan. Not bad. I like the bold design on the back. This does have a hem that curves down from the front to a larger back, but I think that works better than squared-off mullet hems.






Moab Stole. Another nice stole with lovely stitchwork.





Mojave Top. I don't think this piece is quite working here -- the styling isn't doing this piece any favours -- but I could see it working over a camisole or tank top. The shaping is decent and the lacework is attractive.





Salida Cardigan. A very decent piece. I think I might choose to work those shoulder patches in a less high-contrast colourway.





Taos Tee. This is one of those pieces that tend to only work on tall models. I like the lace detailing in the sleeves, neckline, and back, but if the intended wearer is average height or less, I'd shorten both the sleeves and the length and close up most of that waist-high slit.





Tucson Pullover. This is one of those designs that I didn't think I was going to like at first glance but that grow on me as I look at them. The colourway and the design are offbeat and eye-catching, and the shape is good.





Whitehorn Shawl. Very much like this one. The various stripes give this wrap a different interesting look in each of the various way it's styled on the design's Ravelry page.





Winona Poncho. The wavy lace pattern is attractive, but I don't think I'd be able to tolerate something that had this many loose ends and was so likely to snag on absolutely everything for even an hour of wear. This looks like something the cat dragged in, frankly.

7 comments:

  1. Been waiting for your review because I really like just about everything in here...i rarely purchase magazines anymore but I think I'll get this one... your review just pushed me over the edge. 😉

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think the Mojave top would have been better in one colour. As usual, your comments are spot-on.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I LOVE the Tucson pullover. It is so not me, so I probably won’t knit it. But I think it is fabulous.

    ReplyDelete
  4. There are some nice things here. But the idea of summer knits is so foreign to me--where I live it gets up into the hundreds during the summer regularly, and it's not unusual to be in the 90s at night. Arizona is not a place I associate with mild summers either, although I know there are cooler high desert places. It seems like a strange location for this to me, at least for a summer release.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like many of these designs, but I have to say the Indigo Trader Cardigan looks like a new knitter's attempt at a garment...way too bulky. It would possibly look more fitting on a male model?

    I always appreciate and enjoy your reviews!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the Arkansas River Pullover. I wish I had men in my life who wear sweaters. Sigh.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The close-up of the back neck of the Mojave top moved that one to the nope category for me.

    ReplyDelete